Saturday, May 13, 2006

Viva Las Vegas


I just bought the plane ticket that will take me outta of the South for a long long time. Even though I'm not a native of the South, I've grown up here as much as I did in Boston. I feel like I've had a more Southern experience than most ex-yankees surbanites on Frat Row. So I'm sad for loads of reasons. I'm leaving the state with the best best state song ("Georgia on My Mind" by Ray Charles) to a state whose state song sounds like a campfire song ("Home Means Nevada" by Mrs. Bertha Raffetto).

The Chorus of "Home Means Nevada"

"Home, means Nevada, Home, means the hills,
Home, means the sage and the pines.
Out by the Truckee's silvery rills,
Out where the sun always shines,
There is the land that I love the best,
Fairer than all I can see.
Right in the heart of the golden west
Home, means Nevada to me"

and let's not even get started with the state tartan. its a total fade out as illustrated to the left. Lame, ya'll.

But at least, they don't celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday as a state holiday or Confederate Memorial Day. I'll have a good explanation about both the "Confederate Memorial Day" and the Yankee Memorial Day (aka Memorial Day as we know it) very soon.

No comments: